Weight Loss Management
Weight Loss Management
We are aware that trying to lose weight can be a very personal, complex and emotional journey for you. It can often be described as a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, both mentally and physically and more so if being undertaken on your own. We now offer a revolutionary program designed to aid weight loss management and help sustain it.
Let us guide, educate and support you with a holistic outlook to best suit your weight loss goals.
At your first appointment you will have a comprehensive consultation, which will include a thorough clinical assessment to check your suitability for this program as well as an in depth discussion about your weight objectives and aspirations. A bespoke holistic treatment plan will be then be suggested based on your own medical and lifestyle factors and weight management goals. This will incorporate your diet, exercise and the medication that we will provide you.
Your weight, blood pressure and waist circumference will be measured at each appointment.
What Prescription strength Weight Management medication is used in this program?
The licensed medication is called Saxenda®, which contains the active ingredient Liraglutide. It is a prescription only, self-injectable weight management treatment used once daily for 12 weeks.
You can expect to lose a minimum of 5% of your initial body weight after completing your bespoke 12-week plan. If you have not lost 5% of your initial body weight after this time period, then treatment should be discontinued at this stage.
Several clinical trials have tested and proven the effectiveness of Saxenda® in promoting weight loss. Over a 56-week trial, the SCALE Obesity and Pre-Diabetes phase 3a trial showed that the 3731 participants lost an average of 8% of their body weight. Other trials concluded that more than twice as many obese and overweight patients in all groups studied, achieved 5% and 10% body weight loss compared to diet and exercise alone.
How does it work?
Saxenda® contains the active ingredient Liraglutide that is a synthetic derivative of GLP-1, the naturally occurring hormone found in the body. Liraglutide acts on the receptors in the brain that control appetite as well as in the pancreas that regulates the blood sugar levels. Glucagon is a naturally occurring hormone, which works by inhibiting the action of insulin in the pancreas. This treatment will reduce the glucagon production that in turn will increase the insulin levels. This process will slow down the ‘emptying of your stomach’ resulting in making you feel less hungry and ‘fuller’ for longer.
Who is Suitable for this Weight Management program?
- Patients aged between 18 and 75 years
- Patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of ≥ 30 in which a supervised diet and exercise fail to achieve a realistic reduction in weight
- Patients with a BMI between 27 and 30 with at least one of the weight-related co-morbidities, including but not limited to :
– Hypertension (high blood pressure)
– Dyslipidaemia (abnormal levels of fat in the body)
– Obstructive sleep apnoea (breathing problems when sleeping)
- Patients that fit the BMI criteria but have been unsuccessful trying to manage their weight by altering diet and increasing physical activity alone
Who is Unsuitable for this Weight Management program?
- Patients under 18 years and over 75 years of age
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Patients being treated with other weight management products
- Patients with a hypersensitivity to the active ingredient Liraglutide listed in the description of treatment medication
- Congestive heart failure
- Severe liver and kidney impairment
- Severe stomach or gut problems such as gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) or inflammatory bowel disease
Please speak to your GP if you have any of the following conditions (as this treatment medication may not be suitable for you)
- Inflammation of or diseases of the pancreas
- Gallstones or inflamed gall bladder
- Increased heart rate/Heart palpitations
- Thyroid diseases including thyroid nodules and enlargement of the thyroid gland
- Mild to moderate liver or kidney disease
- Any conditions that require you to take anticoagulation therapy such as warfarin
How do I use Saxenda®?
Are there any side effects?
Most prescription medication can be associated with unwanted side effects and these will be all be discussed during the consultation. Although usually mild, some can be more severe, which may result in your treatment being stopped. It is always advised to read the patient information leaflet fully before you begin treatment.
Follow up appointments
You will be seen routinely to monitor your weight management progress and discuss any concerns you may have. Your dose regimen will be set out for you at your first appointment but will be assessed and adjusted accordingly.
We will be here to provide continual support through your journey and together we will achieve your weight management goals.